Banking that starts with you
All Hills Bank checking accounts include:
Free statement alerts and notices: Paper statement or estatement.
Free personalization of your debit or credit card: Make your card Picture Perfect by uploading your own image or picking from our gallery.
Free Classroom Cash®: Earn money for the private school or public school district of your choice in our community.
A free account that's really free.
A free account that's really free. Yes, really.
- No minimum to open.
- Free debit card, mobile and online banking.
- Unlimited ATM transactions with no charge. (The owner of a non-Hills Bank ATM may surcharge, but that’s their fee, not ours!).
For those who want more perks from their checking account.Learn More
For those who want more perks from their checking account.
- $1,000 minimum daily balance or combined relationship daily deposit balance of $5,000 (combined relationships balances are based on banking relationship of the first person listed on this account, who may be listed on other accounts as an owner, joint owner, or sole proprietor)
- A $9.00 monthly basic fee (plus sales tax) is charged if balance requirements are not met.
- Free small safe deposit box for one year (or credit towards a larger box; safe deposit box contents are not FDIC insured)
- Earn tiered interest rates
- Free introductory pack of checks
- Unlimited ATM transactions with no charge (The owner of a non-Hills Bank ATM may surcharge, but that's their fee, not ours)
For college students who are looking to build their financial footing while getting their education.
- No minimum to open
- No monthly service fee
- Free debit card, mobile, and online banking with remote check deposit
- Unlimited ATM transactions and check writing with no charge
- Student status will be verified by a school ID, acceptance letter, or school-issued email address
- Credit check required (if you don’t yet have a credit score, you can still open an account)
- No minimum to open
- No service fee
- The account will convert to a Free Checking account six years after the account is opened.
Friends Club Checking
Exclusively for Friends Club Members. To join Friends Club, customers must be 50 or better and maintain $10,000 or more in household depositsLearn More
Friends Club Checking
Exclusive for members who are 50 years of age and older, meet qualifying balance requirements and whose main checking account is with Hills Bank.
Friends Club Checking* is an interest-bearing account that includes:
- Free checks, free money orders, and free official checks
- 50% discount on safe deposit box rentals (contents are not FDIC insured)
- Referral program perks ($50 bonus*, $1,000 drawing**)
- Free fraud recovery assistance ID restoration provided by Deluxe Provent©
- Free ATM transactions (a fee may imposed by a non-Hills Bank ATM owner)
- Free paper statements
- Online/mobile banking with bill payment
- Special CD rates for customers with a primary checking account
* Hills Bank customers who are age 50 or better and maintain $10,000 in household deposits qualify to join Friends Club and to open a Friends Club (FC) Checking account. Friends Club Checking earns a variable interest rate. As of 3/1/22, balance over $10,000 earn an annual percentage yield (APY) of 0.10%, $9,999.99 to $1,000 earns (APY) of 0.05%, and under $1,000 earns (APY) of 0.05%. Fees may reduce earnings. $50 bonus will be paid when Friends Club Checking account is opened with a new bank deposit.
**Need not be present to win. Odds of winning will depend on the number of entries. New Friends Club Checking Accounts must be opened no later than 12/5/2022 and the drawing will be held on 12/8/2022. If you win the $1,000 cash drawing, Hills Bank will pay the Iowa State tax withholding requirement and the value will be reported on Hills Bank’s 1099MISC. For questions or more information, please call 319-358-2230 or email FriendsClub@HillsBank.com. No purchase required to enter.
Bank Like a Local
At Hills Bank, we believe in local service – we’ve met the banking needs of Eastern Iowans for over a century. With convenient locations in Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Kalona, and across the Corridor, you’re never far from friendly financial support. Stop by an office near you and see why locals bank with Hills Bank!