Hills Bank promotes the growth of hometown businesses and the local community by encouraging everyone to shop locally. By choosing to shop locally, you are not only helping your town prosper, you also receive benefits that only a local business can provide.
Why Shop Locally?
- Employment - Hometown businesses employ local residents, creating jobs for you as well as your friends, family, and neighbors.
- Quality Merchandise - When you buy locally, you know the reputation of the business. If you are unhappy with a purchase, they will make sure you are satisfied.
- Economic Development - Every dollar spent here will circulate numerous times throughout the community. This economic growth will attract businesses, create jobs, and improve the quality of life.
- Personal Service - Local merchants combine expertise and personal attention to create a memorable shopping experience. They will always help you find what you are looking for.
Why Bank Locally?
- Community Growth - Every dollar deposited with Hills Bank is lent back to the community for homes and other needs.
- Local Businesses - Hills Bank helps local business get started and grow with commercial loans and cash management solutions.
- Social Responsibility - Every year, Hills Bank donates thousands of dollars to local schools and community organizations.
- Personal Service - Hills Bank staff is part of the community that you live in and we pride ourselves in treating you like the neighbor that you are.
Local Shopping Stories
I shop locally because it's become family tradition.
“About three years ago, my mom, my sister, and I did our own version of "Black Friday" shopping. Our goal was to get ALL our Christmas gifts including stocking stuffers and candy from a local source. We got up early, hit the local shops, and shopped all day. Later my husband and I talked a lot about our choice of supporting local. Our three year old son was listening even though we didn't know this at the time.
On Christmas Eve, during our gift exchange, my very excited son spoke up very loudly and proudly and proclaimed, "All these gifts are locally made!" Beaming with a smile and giggles on his lips, he whispered in my ear, "Mama, does Santa know about local?" I was so proud of our choice and continue to make local shopping one of our favorite traditions.” ~Jessica
I shop locally because of the customer service.
“My favorite part about shopping locally is that the customer service exceeds that of large retail chains. The person with whom you're speaking at the local store probably has a lot invested in that store being successful, and therefore is very accommodating to your needs.” ~Jason
I shop locally because it provides personal connections.
“My reason for shopping locally may sound a little different than typical reasons for promoting and supporting shop local. I feel that the influx of technology and the use of computers, tablets, and phones for doing buying and communicating, is causing a huge shift in communication mannerisms within communities, towns, and cities. People aren't communicating person-to-person with their neighbors. We need to make a conscious effort to get to meet, support, and talk in person to the people who live in our communities. It's not really about the money but a way of life.” ~Cindy
I shop locally because it's convenient and fun.
“I like stopping into area restaurants downtown for a bite to eat on the weekends or after a long day of work. The downtown Iowa City restaurants have friendly and fast service. I love seeing new menu items offered and trying them with friends. I also like knowing I'm supporting the Iowa City Downtown District by dining locally.” ~Mackenzie
I shop locally because I'm a small business owner.
“I shop locally because I am part owner of a local business and am grateful each time a customer chooses our shop over a "national brand" shop for their work. Small businesses made America great and will continue to be a force in the total economy. Thank you for providing an incentive for people to shop locally.” ~Linda
I shop locally because I want to keep our city growing.
“Supporting the local businesses is what keeps our city growing and encourages even more businesses to come to North Liberty. I also like their friendliness, attitude, and being recognized when you walk into a local business. I appreciate that. I believe whole heatedly in supporting the local businesses!” ~Evelyn
I shop locally to save money and time.
“I found the cordless impact driver that was on my husband's wish list at a large chain store. Because I was in a hurry, I purchased it, but later saw an advertisement at a local discount store for the same brand with an impact driver AND drill for much less money. Needless to say, I did a return and my husband will be excited with the combo pack from the local discount store. Next year I'll shop there first instead of venturing across town.” ~Katie