July 1st – August 31st
Lemon Boss is an annual program for Penny Savers and other kids ages 5-12. It’s designed to teach them how to start their own business, including securing a business loan, recording financial information, managing money, and developing customer service skills. And of course, it’s about making and selling lemonade!
How to Apply
Beginning July 1st, stop in to your local Hills Bank to fill out an application with a parent or guardian. You can also print and complete the application before visiting an office.
#1 – Fill out an application.
#2 – Turn in your application to any Hills Bank office for instant approval.
#3 – Receive your Lemon Boss kit and start selling lemonade!
What's in the Lemon Boss Kit?
- Hills Bank cups and money bag
- Optional Hills Bank pitcher
- Lemonade Mix packets (your choice, regular or pink)
- Wooden spoon
- Hand Sanitizer
- Business start-up money
- “I’m a Lemon Boss” Sticker
- 5x7 Shop Local Sticker
- Income Statement Sheet
What happens after August 31st?
Bring in your completed Income Statement (included in kit) to any Hills Bank location from September 1st – 13th and receive a Certificate of Completion and your photo on the Lemon Boss Hall of Fame to be displayed at all Hills Bank locations during the month of October.
Tips for Lemon Bosses
Just like in the real business world, the quality of your product matters. Make sure your lemonade tastes good – and is cold! You could even add a lemon wedge or drink umbrella for extra pizazz.
Establish Ground Rules
How long will the stand stay in “business?” What are your hours? What will you charge? No matter what you decide, make sure there’s always an adult around to supervise.
Ways to Host a Lemonade Stand This Summer – At a DistanceRead More
Ways to Host a Lemonade Stand This Summer – At a Distance
1. Set up a lemonade stand in your backyard, serving the family members in your household only. Let Mom, Dad, brothers, or sisters pick up the lemonade tab! Bonus idea – add a baked good to your backyard lemonade stand offering. This will increase the value of purchases and means more money in your pocket!
2. Create a to-go lemonade bundle including a bottle of water and a single lemonade packet and leave on your sidewalk for customers to pick-up. Visit https://www.nofoottoosmall.org/get_involved/host-a-lemonade-stand.html for more information on this business model.
3. Ask for donations to your “virtual lemonade stand” from friends and family in a video conference. While your customers may not be getting any physical lemonade from your stand, they can still donate to your stand and you will be able to Save, Share, or Spend your earnings how you wish! Bonus Idea – If you let your customers know that you plan to share your earnings with a local non-profit, they may be willing to donate even more!
4. No-Contact Lemonade Delivery: If your family is staying in touch with your neighbors, ask them if they’d like a fresh made glass of lemonade delivered! Then go out with your parent(s) and leave to-go glasses of lemonade on their doorsteps. Your parents can accept payment on your behalf through online services.
What should you do with your Lemon Boss profits?Read More
What should you do with your Lemon Boss profits?
Save, Spend, and Share!
- Save your money to afford things you want in the future, and to have some cash when you really need it. A lot of things cost more money than you have right now. But when you save, you can get that new bike, toy, or other item without having to ask your parents to buy it for you!
- Spend your money to reward yourself on a successful business! Make a wish list of the things you want right now, and ask your parents to help you figure out which ones you can buy right away and which ones you will need to save money for.
- Share your money with others to make the world a better place. When you share your time and money with the people who matter to you, you’re showing them that you care. It can be hard to share what you worked so hard to get. But when you do, you might discover that it makes you happy too!
*No purchase necessary and while supplies last. To apply for a free Hills Bank Lemon Boss kit submit a request form at hillsbank.com/lemonboss. Limit one kit per household per year. Form submitter must be the parent and/or guardian of a child or children 5-12 years old. Adult supervision recommended.
**By submitting Lemon Boss photos to #LemonBoss or firstname.lastname@example.org, you agree that Hills Bank has the right to use your content in any way and on all Hills Bank websites, social media networks, print and advertising, and other media, including your name and profile picture, without payments or other considerations.