Lobbies are open. View additional COVID-19 Resources.
Lemon Boss is an annual program for Penny Savers and other kids ages 5-12. It’s designed to teach them how to start their own business, including securing a business loan, recording financial information, managing money, and developing customer service skills. And of course, it’s about making and selling lemonade!
As we’re all aware of the potential risk involved in coming into contact with strangers this year, we recommend that your Lemon Boss only “sell” lemonade to other members of your household. But that doesn’t mean you can’t still teach him or her some important money skills this summer.
What's in the Lemon Boss Kit?
- Paper cups
- 4 single serving size Lemonade Mix packets
- ‘I’m A Lemon Boss’ Stickers
- Lemon Boss Coloring Page
- Thank You Note + Instructions Postcard
- Wooden Nickel: redeemable for $2 into your child’s Penny Saver account
Tips for Lemon Bosses
Just like in the real business world, the quality of your product matters. Make sure your lemonade tastes good – and is cold! You could even add a lemon wedge or drink umbrella for extra pizazz.
Establish Ground Rules
How long will the stand stay in “business?” What are your hours? What will you charge? No matter what you decide, make sure there’s always an adult around to supervise.
Capture the Moment
When your Lemon Boss kit arrives, take a video of the un-boxing and share it with us by using the #LemonBoss2020 hashtag on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram, or email us at LemonBoss@hillsbank.com.**
Ways to Host a Lemonade Stand This Summer – At a DistanceRead More
Ways to Host a Lemonade Stand This Summer – At a Distance
1. Set up a lemonade stand in your backyard, serving the family members in your household only. Let Mom, Dad, brothers, or sisters pick up the lemonade tab! Bonus idea – add a baked good to your backyard lemonade stand offering. This will increase the value of purchases and means more money in your pocket!
2. Create a to-go lemonade bundle including a bottle of water and a single lemonade packet and leave on your sidewalk for customers to pick-up. Visit https://www.nofoottoosmall.org/get_involved/host-a-lemonade-stand.html for more information on this business model.
3. Ask for donations to your “virtual lemonade stand” from friends and family in a video conference. While your customers may not be getting any physical lemonade from your stand, they can still donate to your stand and you will be able to Save, Share, or Spend your earnings how you wish! Bonus Idea – If you let your customers know that you plan to share your earnings with a local non-profit, they may be willing to donate even more!
4. No-Contact Lemonade Delivery: If your family is staying in touch with your neighbors, ask them if they’d like a fresh made glass of lemonade delivered! Then go out with your parent(s) and leave to-go glasses of lemonade on their doorsteps. Your parents can accept payment on your behalf through online services.
*No purchase necessary and while supplies last. To apply for a free Hills Bank Lemon Boss kit submit a request form at hillsbank.com/lemonboss. Limit one kit per household per year. Form submitter must be the parent and/or guardian of a child or children 5-12 years old. Adult supervision recommended.
**By submitting Lemon Boss photos to #LemonBoss or firstname.lastname@example.org, you agree that Hills Bank has the right to use your content in any way and on all Hills Bank websites, social media networks, print and advertising, and other media, including your name and profile picture, without payments or other considerations.